Hamels To Be Examined

Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels headed back to Philadelphia this morning to get his elbow examined.

Hamels said he doesn't feel "pain," but something doesn't feel right. Soreness, tightness, but not pain. None the less, Hamels will be examined for precautionary reasons.

"We just want to be cautious, and we thought it was important that he sees our
doctor in Philly."Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said.

There is reason to be concerned. The 25 year old threw 262.1 innings last season, including the playoffs, the most of his entire professional career. Hamels also has a history of injuries.

"Truly, I think it might have been throwing too hard too soon, or trying to
throw too hard too soon before your body can really tolerate it," Hamels said.
"Just with my mechanics, I try to keep them the best I possibly can, but for
some odd reason, I come to Spring Training and my shoulder is always really
tight, so I have to do a little bit more with my elbow to get over that, and
eventually my shoulder kind of is used to the throwing process and it can take
all the workload."

"The elbow doesn't have to do much. I think the elbow was stressed with
the workload of my shoulder. That's why I'm still able to throw, because I'm
doing all the work with my shoulder again, but it's still that little nagging
inflammation that is really causing all the problems."

The Phillies and Hamels won't find out the seriousness of the surgery until Tuesday, but are optimistic it isn't a serious injury and that he will be ready by Opening Day, 20 days away.

QUOTE SOURCE: Philles.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment