- Paul Hoover was called up from Triple-A Lehigh Valley. To make room for Hoover on the 40-man roster, catcher Joel Naughton was designated for assignment.
The 33-year-old catcher batted .253 with one home run with the IronPigs. The move adds another catcher to the September roster. He played in the majors last season with the Marlins. He batted .200 (8-for-40), and is a career .230 hitter. It's also notable that he does not have a Major League home run.
Naughton batted .240 with 7 HR and 34 RBI in Single-A Clearwater this season.
- The Phillies activated Antonio Bastardo from the 60-day disabled list. He was optioned to Double-A Reading. To make room for Bastardo, Steven Register was designated for assignment.
Bastardo was 2-3 with a 6.75 ERA in five starts with the Phillies. Register went 1-3 with a 3.20 ERA with the IronPigs. He pitched one game with the big club this season.
- Clay Condrey (left oblique strain) is scheduled to make a rehab assignment on Saturday.
Condrey, who has been on the DL since July 23, is 6-2 with a 3.41 ERA this season.
- Even though the postseason roster deadline is up, the Phillies may still have interest in Nomar Garciaparra, who cleared waivers a while ago.
The Phillies are in need of a right handed bat off the bench, and Nomar would provide that. He is currently with teh Oakland A's.
- Brett Myers will be activated tomorrow prior to the game against the Houston Astros.
Myers, who recovered from hip surgery, will likely start pitching in the 6th and 7th innings. Myers was 4-3 with a 4.66 ERA in 10 starts this year. In four rehab appearances, he pitched eight innings allowing one run. He struck out 14.
If this video doesn't get you pumped for the postseason, then I don't know what does. Bon Jovi, baseball, and oh yeah the reigning World Champs are featured several times.
Also, my mad photography skills were featured on the blog Who Does He Play For?