RIP Harry Kalas

"We lost our voice today." -David Montgomery

Harry Kalas passed away today before the Phillies and Nationals game. He was found in the press box before he was rushed to the hospital, where he died at 1:20 PM.

Kalas, a 2002 Ford C. Fick Award winner, and hall of famer, made some of the greatest calls in the game. His world famous "Outta Here!" was his legendary trade mark.



Kalas was with the Phillies since 1971, and was able to call Mike Schmidt's 500th home run and last year's World Championship.

His last home run call: Matt Stairs home run.




RIP Harry Kalas. You're with Whitey now.

You will be deeply missed. Listening to Phillies games will never be the same. YOU are the man.


CSN Tribute to Harry Kalas from Mike Meech on Vimeo.

Videos Courtesy: The Fightins , ESPN, MY PHL

6 comments:

Mike said...

RIP, Harry.

Shay Roddy said...

He was a hero, a legend and a monument in this city. Harry fittingly died in a broadcast booth, where he spent so much of his joyous life. He was a wonderful man and terrific broadcaster. I'll miss him every day.

Anonymous said...

Montgomery didn't find him. Check that.

IRONPIGPEN said...

That's what I thought a couple of minutes after I first heard - Harry has gone to do today's game with Whitey...

Just tears. That's about all I can say. Tears.

He was a great football announcer, too, even if he did do Notre Dame games. At least he gave the Golden Domers real class.

NFL Films, too.

It's like everybody's Grandfather has died.

Of course, he did the very first game ever at Coca-Cola Park.

I remember watching him on TV in the booth at CCP. I had been in the stadium during construction and just before the Park opened. I had been in press box.

I remember feeling so proud the great Harry Kalas had come to Allentown to do the first IronPigs game.

At least he and Whitey can watch games together again...

Amanda said...

Tribute post coming tomorrow.

RIP. My bad, I was told Montogomery. I fixed it.

Jay Floyd said...

Nice post, Amanda.

Post a Comment